Title IX Investigations: Interviewing Hints, Tips and Techniques
Duration: 1 hour
Facilitator: Heather Cowan
The majority of any Title IX investigation is conducting interviews; Complainants, Respondents and witnesses all require interviews and each type of interview is unique. It is necessary to conduct interviews from a neutral perspective in order to provide both parties to the investigation their due process. Interviewing the Complainant and Respondent in such an emotionally charged environment takes skill. Some of this skill comes with practice and experience but until you get there, this webinar will help you get some interviewing techniques under your belt so you can go into these interviews with confidence. This webinar will also include tips on determining credibility and how to apply that to the allegations and investigation.
- List the five ways of determining credibility (as sanctioned by the EEOC).
- Understand the importance of impartiality to Title IX investigations.
- Understand when to use open ended questions and when to ask pointed questions.
- Walk away with a list of general interview questions that they can tailor as needed or use as-is.
- Know how to begin interviews and what to cover before interviewees provide any information.
Heather Cowan, M.A., has over 15 years of professional experience working with diverse student populations in sexual health, student conduct and civil rights investigations. She is currently the Title IX Coordinator at the University of New Mexico. Previously, she was the Sexual Misconduct Program Manager in the Office of Student Conflict Resolution at the University of Michigan and an Investigator with UM's Office for Institutional Equity.