Families as Partners: Creating Connections?
Date/Time: Wednesday, 11/13/2019, 1 pm EST
Duration: 1 hour
Facilitator: Dr. Rebecca Kitchell and Greg Overend
This interactive Webinar will explore the dynamic initiatives and programs developed through collaborative efforts between units in student affairs to work with students’ families. We will share the successful outcomes of our work and offer new and unique ways to better engage with families at your institutions. Our focus will be based on our three pillars in student affairs which include: belonging, engagement and connections.
- Rationale and Philosophy of why this topic is important and relevant to our work today
- Introduction of the University’s Pillars of Belonging, Engagement and Community and how it guides our work in student affairs
- Programs to Highlight
- Family SOAR Program
- Family Facebook Live
- Family Day
- Staying Connected: Family Newsletter, Family Calendar, Translator Program and Family Handbook
- Graduation: Commencement Ball
- Participants will be able to identify key campus partnerships to assist families and students in creating a sense of belonging, engagement and community.
- Participants will learn at least three new ideas and initiatives to create belonging, engagement and community with family members at their institutions.
- As a result of attending this session, participants will understand the significance, as well as the benefits, of creating a sense of belonging, engagement and community with families to enhance student success and retention.
Rebecca Kitchell, Ed.D, Assistant Dean of Students at the University of New Haven with experience in: Residential Education, Student Activities, Conduct, Leadership, Community Service, Wellness Initiatives, Spirituality and Parent/Families Initiatives and Case Management. Becca has worked 21 years in Student Affairs.
Greg Overend, Executive Director for Student Engagement, Leadership, and Orientation at the University of New Haven. Greg has experience in: Residence Life, Student Activities, Leadership Development, Conference Services, Greek Life, Orientation, Building Management, Student Government, Student Organizations, and Major Event Planning. He has worked 25 years in Student Affairs.