SUNY DelhiDelhi, NY United States
SUNY Delhi seeks a dynamic, forward-thinking, and engaging Maintenance Assistant to join Facilities Department. SUNY Delhi prides itself on being a welcoming college community for all. Diversity, equity, and inclusiveness are integral components of the highest quality academic programs and the strongest campus climate. The college seeks a wide range of applicants for its positions so that inclusive excellence will be affirmed.
Maintenance Assistants (Carpenter) perform semiskilled carpentry work in the construction and repair of structures and other items. Incumbents may work with a variety of materials in addition to wood, including but not limited to, sheet metal, plastics, or aluminum.
Maintenance Assistant (Carpenter): non-competitive; as a semiskilled employee, performs the more routine, repetitive maintenance, installation, and repair tasks in the carpentry trade. Incumbents may also perform journey-level activities, under supervision, or after receiving detailed instructions, to learn and perfect their skills.
Generally, Maintenance Assistants (Carpenter) work under the supervision of a skilled trades or supervisory maintenance position; in turn, they may supervise Facility Operations Assistants 1 and other relatively unskilled workers in performing manual tasks involving elementary skills.
Working from blueprints, drawings, oral or written instructions and using carpenter's hand tools and power tools, performs a variety of semiskilled maintenance, repair and construction activities in the carpentry trade including but not limited to the following:
- Repairs structural woodwork and equipment such as doors, window sash, storm windows, screens, window guards, stairs and railings.
- Repairs, installs and adjusts locks, door closures, hinges, door checks and other door hardware.
- Installs glass in windows, doors and partitions.
- Builds, repairs and installs such items as bookcases, shelving, tables, and racks using woodworking machines.
- Following instructions, assists skilled tradespersons in such construction activities as the erection or renovation of larger buildings and structures, and in the repair and construction of roofs.
- Builds forms for concrete work.
- Erects and moves wall partitions and preps them for paint.
- Installs and replaces damaged floor and ceiling tile.
- Makes repairs to sheetrock and other wall finishes
- May be asked to operate trucks and other light construction equipment.
- When deemed necessary by supervisor, Maintenance Assistants may be assigned to other activities such as snow and ice control.
- Assist Trade Specialist (Carpenter) in keeping the shop clean and organized
- May perform overall maintenance of facility and campus infrastructure, including academic spaces, residential spaces, roofs, sidewalks, walkways, and other outdoor spaces.
Independence of Operation
Maintenance Assistants (Carpenter) are usually supervised by a higher-level trade position, such as Trades Specialist (Carpenter) or Trades Generalist who determine work priorities, define the nature and extent of work to be performed, provide instructions and direction, provide resources for work projects, lay out and plan projects, assist in performing the more difficult tasks, train staff in skilled work, evaluate performance, and inspect work in progress and upon completion. Maintenance Assistants (Carpenter) may perform the activities of this class with considerable independence when supervision is not available and are expected to perform routine activities with considerable independence.
- Start Date: No Start Date
- Education: High School or Equivalent
- Work Experience: 2 - 4 years
- Part/Full Time: Full-Time