Santa Clara UniversitySanta Clara, CA United States
$22.02 -$25.31 per hour
A. POSITION PURPOSE
The Serials Information Specialist is responsible for the receipt of library materials in all formats. This position is also responsible for the daily law school mail sort, looseleaf filings and materials processing. The Serials Information Specialist performs a wide range of duties requiring a comprehensive knowledge of library operations, policies, and procedures. The position provides accurate, detailed, and timely work that is instrumental in the library's mission to provide excellent service. The Serials Information Specialist is a liaison to other university and law school departments that either require or provide services in the library.
B. ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Materials Receipt [25%]
• Serve as Library's expert for the Sierra serials and bindery modules.
• Check-in all serials and continuations.
• Collect and pre-process invoices, publication and subscription notices.
• Handle complex problem solving for the Serials module in Sierra, and refer higher level problems to appropriate staff.
• Claim missing material.
• Create and maintain routing records.
• Verify and add URLs to bibliographic records.
Manage the Distribution of All Law School and Library Mail [20%]
• Sort and distribute Law School mail.
• Ensure mail opening deadlines are met.
• Develop and maintain mailroom procedures under the direction of the Head of Acquisitions.
• Communicate department's mail sort policy and procedures to the Law School community.
• Act as law school liaison to University mailing services and other law school departments.
Filing Manager [25%]
• Maintain and update filings in all formats.
• Update loose-leaf filings and pocket parts daily based on priority.
• Assign loose-leaf filing responsibilities to staff.
• Claim missing pages and damaged binders with publishers.
Materials Processing [20%]
• Copy or create item records for all library materials.
• Perform all operations to make materials shelf ready.
• Perform other processing duties as needed.
Supply Ordering [5%]
• Responsible for tracking and ordering all Technical Services department supplies.
• Maintain electronic inventory records.
• Research and recommend processing supplies for the department.
• Work closely with the Law Finance department.
Other Duties [5%]
• Perform special library projects as assigned.
• Develop policies and procedures as necessary.
• Take advantage of continuing education opportunities as they are made available to keep current with developing trends.
• Administer bindery functions as needed.
• Staff Information Service Desk when needed
C. WORK DIRECTION
• Reports to the Head of Acquisitions.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily.
The items below are representative of the knowledge, skills, abilities, education, and experience required
Education and Experience
• Bachelors degree and some library experience, particularly in a Technical Services Department, is preferred.
• Minimum of three years experience in an administrative role or relevant experience required.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
• Familiarity with serials, acquisitions and cataloging functions of an ILS, preferably Innovative Interfaces.
• Familiarity with cataloging standards and practices, including MARC and RDA.
• Excellent problem solving and people skills, scheduling skills, managerial skills, word processing, spreadsheet and statistic collection skills.
• Ability to train new employees and cross-train current staff.
• Ability to effectively establish and maintain cooperative working relationships within a diverse multicultural environment.
• Recommends initiatives and implements changes to improve quality and services.
• Maintains contact with customers and solicits feedback for improved services.
• Identifies and determines cause of problems; develops and presents recommendations for improvement of established processes and practices.
• Maximizes productivity through use of appropriate tools; plans training and performance initiatives.
• Researches and develops resources that create timely and efficient workflow.
• Prepares progress reports; informs supervisor of project status and deviation from goals.
• Ensures completeness, accuracy and timeliness of all operational functions.
• Prepares and submits reports as requested and required.
• Develops and implements guidelines to support the functions of the unit.
E. PHYSICAL DEMANDS
The physical demands described below are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. In accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, as amended, the California Fair Employment & Housing Act, and all other applicable laws, SCU provides reasonable accommodations for qualified persons with disabilities. A qualified individual is a person who meets skill, experience, education, or other requirements of the position, and who can perform the essential functions of the position with or without reasonable accommodation.
• Considerable time is spent at a desk using a computer terminal.
• Work with books that may be very dusty.
• Move books, either carrying or using a book truck.
• May be required to travel to other buildings on the campus and just off campus.
• May be required to attend conference and training sessions within Bay Area or in- or out-of-state locations.
• May be required to occasionally travel to outside customers, vendors, or suppliers.
F. WORK ENVIRONMENT
The work environment characteristics described below are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job.
• Typical office environment.
• Mostly indoor office environment with windows.
• Offices with equipment noise.
• Offices with frequent interruptions.
?Equal Opportunity/Notice of Nondiscrimination
Santa Clara University is an equal opportunity/equal access/affirmative action employer fully committed to achieving a diverse workforce and complies with all Federal and California State laws, regulations, and executive orders regarding non-discrimination and affirmative action. Applications from members of historically underrepresented groups are especially encouraged. For a complete copy of Santa Clara University's equal opportunity and nondiscrimination policies, see https://www.scu.edu/title-ix/policies-reports/
Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972
Santa Clara University does not discriminate in its employment practices or in its educational programs or activities on the basis of sex/gender, and prohibits retaliation against any person opposing discrimination or participating in any discrimination investigation or complaint process internally or externally. The Title IX Coordinator and Section 504 and ADA Coordinator is Jenna Elliott, Interim Director of Equal Opportunity and Title IX, 408-551-3043, mailto:email@example.com, , http://www.scu.edu/title-ix. Inquiries can also be made to the Assistant Secretary of Education within the Office for Civil Rights (OCR).
Clery Notice of Availability
Santa Clara University annually collects information about campus crimes and other reportable incidents in accordance with the federal Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act. To view the Santa Clara University report, please go to the Campus Safety Services https://university-operations.scu.edu/campus-safety/crime-reporting/. To request a paper copy please call Campus Safety at (408) 554-4441. The report includes the type of crime, venue, and number of occurrences.
Americans with Disabilities Act
Santa Clara University affirms its' commitment to employ qualified individuals with disabilities within the workplace and to comply with the Americans with Disability Act. All applicants desiring an accommodation should contact the https://www.scu.edu/phonebook/Department-of-Human-Resources, and 408-554-5750 and request to speak to Indu Ahluwalia by phone at 408-554-5750 or by email at mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org.
To view the full job posting and apply for this position, go to https://apptrkr.com/4210566
Copyright ©2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
- Start Date: No Start Date
- Education: Bachelor's Degree Required
- Work Experience: 3 - 5 years
- Part/Full Time: Full-Time
Contact / Additional Information
To apply, visit https://apptrkr.com/4210566