SUNY DelhiDelhi, NY United States
SUNY Delhi seeks a dynamic, forward-thinking, and engaging Maintenance Assistant to join Facilities Department. SUNY Delhi prides itself on being a welcoming college community for all. Diversity, equity, and inclusiveness are integral components of the highest quality academic programs and the strongest campus climate. The college seeks a wide range of applicants for its positions so that inclusive excellence will be affirmed.
The Maintenance Assistant will assist in the overall maintenance, repair of, and operation of campus steam and/or, hot water generation & distribution throughout campus facilities in the Steam Plant departments. Maintenance Assistants are usually supervised by a Journey-level trades position, who determine work priorities, define the nature and extent of work to be performed, provide instructions and direction, provide resources for work projects, lay out and plan projects, assist in performing the more difficult tasks, train staff in skilled work, evaluate performance, and inspect work in progress and upon completion. Maintenance Assistants may perform the activities of this class with considerable independence when supervision is not available and are expected to perform routine activities with considerable independence.
- Assists in general operation and maintenance tasks, including routine replacement and repair of plumbing and steam fitting equipment and installation of new equipment, according to layouts provided by the supervisor, by cutting, fitting, and threading pipe; removing existing pipes and fixtures; repairing and adjusting water mixers, thermostats, and other fixtures; locating and unplugging stoppages; repairing domestic steam equipment such as steam tables, dishwashers, and laundry equipment; repairing leaks in steam and water lines; over hauling vacuum pumps; and insulating steam lines.
- Uses Work Order (W.O.) system, emails and information from Facilities staff to prioritize & complete work assigned. Also submits work orders requests as needed to complete work.
- When deemed necessary by supervisor, Maintenance Assistants may be assigned to other maintenance activities, such as snow and ice control.
- Maintains clean and clear work space, including shop, returns areas all work sites to safe conditions prior to completion.
- Works with other Facilities staff on large projects that may require additional work force or equipment.
- Performs semiskilled activities assigned to the Steam Plant, under general supervision of journey level trades persons.
- May perform overall maintenance of facility and campus infrastructure, including academic spaces, residential spaces, heating systems, ventilation systems, steam plant operations.
- May occasionally operate trucks and light construction equipment., and other such power equipment in the removal of snow and maintenance of green spaces. Possess a valid New York State driver's license, safe operation of motor vehicles.
- Assist maintenance Plant Utility Engineer, Trade Specialist & Generalist positions by performing skilled and routine maintenance and repair activities. Including operation of machine and power tools, in the performance of skilled and routine trades tasks.
- Provides patrons, visitors, students, and faculty with general and routine information such as: directions to campus buildings, areas, and events; campus policies regarding such areas as parking, grounds, and facility use; and fee information for parking and campus events.
- Start Date: No Start Date
- Education: Varied (See Description)
- Work Experience: 2 - 4 years
- Part/Full Time: Full-Time