Santa Clara UniversitySanta Clara, CA United States
Director - Venture and Equity Ethics
Fixed Term (Fixed Term)
$41,750 -$49,100, (0.50 FTE) commensurate with experience
The Director for Venture & Equity Ethics leads the Markkula Center's efforts to build out The Lucas Institute for Venture Ethics at the Markkula Center. This institute will be the world’s first and only institute dedicated to the study and promotion of applied Venture Ethics. The Institute will engage investors and entrepreneurs throughout Silicon Valley and around the world through the creation of a collaborative space for thought leaders to explore how to harness the power of investing and innovation to build a more humane, just and sustainable world.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• This new program is designed to put together guidelines for ethical investing by venture capitalists and private equity funds.
• The Director will help with strategic planning, writing guidelines, recruiting ethics council members, gathering input from working investors, identifying key ethical issues, and develop and deliver training in the center’s ethical guidelines.
• Work with Center clients to aid them in implementing ethical decision making.
• Write case studies, writing articles on current ethics issues in venture and equity, holding meetings for a new Venture & Equity Ethics Council.
• Field media interviews on venture and equity topics.
• Make presentations to on-campus and off-campus groups on Venture and Equity Ethics
• Other duties as assigned by the Executive Director.
PROVIDES WORK DIRECTION
• May provide training and work direction to student employees in the Center to support advancement goals
• To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The items below are representative of the knowledge, skills, abilities, education, and experience required or preferred.
• This position requires the ability to effectively establish and maintain cooperative working relationships within a diverse multicultural environment.
• Excellent understanding of Markkula Center's vision, mission, values, goals, objectives, achievements, infrastructure, and current issues of concern for higher education generally.
• Management experience preferred.
• Must be a goal oriented and self-motivated individual who can work both independently and as part of a team and who can demonstrate accountability, initiative, creativity and focus in a rapidly changing and intellectually stimulating environment.
• Required to have a valid driver's license and personal transportation vehicle available for frequent travel to business meetings (mileage is reimbursed under federal guidelines).
• Advanced analytical, critical thinking, problem recognition/avoidance/resolution skills.
• Design and production of development communication materials, including brochures, gift tables/charts, and presentations.
• Demonstrated skills to work as a member of an office-wide team of professional and administrative colleagues. Skills to interact with diverse constituencies and to work collaboratively in teams and with other units of the campus.
• Excellent interpersonal communication skills, including political acumen to establish and maintain good working relationships across all organizational levels of the university and specifically with executive and academic leaders, faculty, VC community.
• Excellent computer skills; proficiency in using advanced functions of word processing, Excel spreadsheets, PowerPoint, Google products (i.e., Google docs, Gmail, etc.) database and web resources.
• Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to collaborate, build alliances, and achieve results within a population that may possess competing interests, opinions, and /or expectations.
• Demonstrate strong active listening skills and ability to negotiate positive outcomes.
• Positive attitude, sense of humor, and flexibility.
• Demonstrate a level of comfort working and communicating with top executives, community leaders, and university leadership
• A genuine appetite to contribute to a collaborative, ethical, and professional team environment.
• Ability to motivate, build long term relationships with, and gain the respect of internal and external stakeholders.
• Demonstrate the ability to manage time and work load to multitask and achieve goals in a deadline driven environment.
• Ability to work on the road and/or work at odd hours and on weekends.
• Bachelor's Degree required
• An individual with at least 6-8 years experience in venture capital or private equity or a closely related industry. Personable, organized, a good writer and communicator.
The physical demands described below are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. In accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, as amended, the California Fair Employment & Housing Act, and all other applicable laws, SCU provides reasonable accommodations for qualified persons with disabilities. A qualified individual is a person who meets skill, experience, education, or other requirements of the position, and who can perform the essential functions of the position with or without reasonable accommodation.
• Considerable time is spent at a desk using a computer terminal.
• Required to travel to other buildings on campus.
• May be required to travel to meet Venture Capital and Equity community.
The work environment characteristics described below are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job.
• Mostly indoor work environment with some windows.
• Typical office environment.
• Offices with equipment noise and frequent interruptions.
• Meeting with external constituents at off-campus locations including other offices, restaurants, other private and public venues.
?Equal Opportunity/Notice of Nondiscrimination
Santa Clara University is an equal opportunity/equal access/affirmative action employer fully committed to achieving a diverse workforce and complies with all Federal and California State laws, regulations, and executive orders regarding non-discrimination and affirmative action. Applications from members of historically underrepresented groups are especially encouraged. For a complete copy of Santa Clara University’s equal opportunity and nondiscrimination policies, see https://www.scu.edu/title-ix/policies-reports/
Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972
Santa Clara University does not discriminate in its employment practices or in its educational programs or activities on the basis of sex/gender, and prohibits retaliation against any person opposing discrimination or participating in any discrimination investigation or complaint process internally or externally. The Title IX Coordinator and Section 504 and ADA Coordinator is Jenna Elliott, Interim Director of Equal Opportunity and Title IX, 408-551-3043, email@example.com, , http://www.scu.edu/title-ix. Inquiries can also be made to the Assistant Secretary of Education within the Office for Civil Rights (OCR).
Clery Notice of Availability
Santa Clara University annually collects information about campus crimes and other reportable incidents in accordance with the federal Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act. To view the Santa Clara University report, please go to the Campus Safety Services https://university-operations.scu.edu/campus-safety/crime-reporting/. To request a paper copy please call Campus Safety at (408) 554-4441. The report includes the type of crime, venue, and number of occurrences.
Americans with Disabilities Act
Santa Clara University affirms its' commitment to employ qualified individuals with disabilities within the workplace and to comply with the Americans with Disability Act. All applicants desiring an accommodation should contact the https://www.scu.edu/phonebook/Department-of-Human-Resources, and 408-554-5750 and request to speak to Indu Ahluwalia by phone at 408-554-5750 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Start Date: No Start Date
- Education: Bachelor's Degree Required
- Work Experience: 6 - 8 years
- Part/Full Time: Part-Time
Contact / Additional Information
To apply, visit https://apptrkr.com/3849633