St. Lawrence UniversityCanton, NY United States
St. Lawrence University invites applications for a Systems Administrator. The Systems Administrator is a member of the core infrastructure team within the Information Technology Division.
- Reports to the Director of IT Applications and Infrastructure with latitude for independent initiative and judgment.
- Responsible for implementing, maintaining, tuning, and monitoring operating systems and services running on Red Hat Enterprise Linux, Microsoft Windows Server and Client Editions, Mac OS X, VMware/Hyper-V, and other UNIX variants.
- Responsible for implementing and operating server related software that may include but is not limited to, Samba, LDAP, MySQL, MS SQL Servers, Apache, IIS, Microsoft Server stack.
- Participate in and/or lead the management and maintenance of Microsoft Active Directory domain, Exchange, Skype for Business, Teams, Microsoft 365, and Azure environments.
- Participate in and/or lead server and storage implementation, configuration, maintenance, and trouble shooting.
- Provide high level, tier 3, support for system services and protocols.
- Participate in daily operational tasks such as proactive maintenance, management, monitoring performance, incident and problem management, security, and backup and recovery across the network infrastructure.
- Assist with developing and maintaining scripts in Perl, Shell, PHP, PowerShell, VBScript as well as other scripting languages to support operating procedures and user interfaces.
- Create new and update existing documentation of services and procedures.
- Ability to implement a project from beginning to end while managing scope and timeline.
- Provide systems related support to and assist client services in the support of campus users.
- Occasional evening and weekend hours are required as well as regular off-hours maintenance and rotating on-call shifts
- Bachelor’s degree with 4 years of experience in information technology. Candidates with an equivalent combination of education or relevant technology certification(s) and experience will be considered.
- System-level familiarity with Windows, Linux, or Macintosh operating systems.
- Thorough understanding of Microsoft Active Directory.
- Commitment to customer service.
- Excellent troubleshooting abilities.
- Ability to lift and carry computers or related equipment weighing up to 40 pounds.
- Strong professional ethics and commitment to security and confidentiality.
- Bachelor’s degree and more than 4 years of experience with Information technology in an academic environment.
- Experience with any of the following: Exchange/Skype for Business, Microsoft 365/Azure, VoIP and analog telephony, MSSQL, LAMP, SharePoint, Drupal, Rubrik enterprise backup, Juniper EX service, Aruba, Palo Alto, Server/Desktop virtualization, SAN storage technologies, or Hyper-Converged technologies.
- Experience with programming or scripting languages.
- 2 years of experience in systems administration.
- Project management experience.
- Start Date: No Start Date
- Education: Bachelor's Degree Required
- Work Experience: 4 - 6 years
- Part/Full Time: Full-Time
Contact / Additional Information
Interested applicants must apply online at https://employment.stlawu.edu/postings/3149 uploading all required materials which are defined in the “special instructions to applicant” section. Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until position is filled. Questions about the position may be directed to David Ludwig, Search Chair, firstname.lastname@example.org.
All offers of employment are contingent upon the finalist successfully passing a background (including criminal records) check.
St. Lawrence University policy requires all employees and students to be up to date with available vaccinations against Covid-19 including, as applicable, a booster shot. Individuals may apply for a medical or religious exemption from this policy.