Gustavus Adolphus CollegeSaint Peter, MN United States
JOB SUMMARY: The Assistant Director of Residential Life is responsible for a range of responsibilities related to the mission of the college and the department. The Assistant Director serves as a member of the Residential Life leadership team and is responsible for coordinating and implementing all aspects of student employment and student leadership development through the Residential Life department. Additionally, the Assistant Director will work with our residential curriculum (Gustavus Residential Experience - GRE), marketing/social media, conduct management with the Dean of Students, and assessment.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Training and Development:
- Collegiate Fellow Program
- Coordinate all student employment in the department (including Collegiate Fellows, Returning Collegiate Fellows, Community Coordinators).
- Provide indirect supervision to the Area Coordinators who directly supervise Collegiate Fellows, Returning Collegiate Fellows, Community Coordinators.
- Coordinate student staff consistency and discipline.
- Develop, design, and implement all student staff training including fall, spring, and on-going training, and assessment.
- Develop, design, and coordinate the recruitment and selection processes for all student staff including Collegiate Fellows, Returning Collegiate Fellows, Community. Coordinators, and Summer Collegiate Fellows.
- Design and implement a comprehensive staff development plan for student staff
- Develop the Community Coordinator and Returning CF positions to enhance leadership opportunities for experienced staff members.
- Coordinate and assign all break scheduling for student staff over college break periods.
- Design, develop, and implement assessment of student staff training and selection.
- Hall Council Program
- Advise the RHA.
- Design and implement a comprehensive personal/professional development plan for volunteer leaders.
- Coordinate hall council recognition including the Of the Month Program.
- Facilitate relationship between Hall Councils and Student Senate.
- Design develop and implement assessment of the Hall Council Program.
- Area Coordinators
- Indirect supervision of full-time Area Coordinators regarding student leadership, Curriculum, and student staff.
Coordinate and Oversee Communication from Residence Life:
- Manage the Web site in coordination with our Administrative Assistant including content creation, analysis, design and functionality.
- Assist the department leadership team in administration and management of social media communication and initiatives.
- Coordinate publicity/marketing needs through the department, including signage, posters, and digital displays.
- Manage department swag items ordered in collaboration with Residential Life professional staff.
- Assist with management of department budget, specifically regarding the Collegiate Fellow program.
- Assist in implementation of Adirondack housing management software along with the Assistant Director of Operations.
- Serve on various divisional and college committees.
- Respond to concerns from students, parents, faculty and staff.
- Serve in on-call rotation for department (typically one week per month).
- Assist with designing and interpreting various assessments done within the department.
- Coordinate on-campus summer housing and billing process.
- Assist with administrative aspects of hall openings and closings at breaks.
Residential Curriculum (Gustavus Residential Experience - GRE):
- Work in Coordination with the Director of Residential Life in the development and implementation of the GRE.
- Assist in coordinating and developing phases of the GRE in coordination with the Director and Residential Life professional staff.
- Assist the Director with developing and interpreting assessment data related to the GRE
- Facilitate, support, and participate in the mission of the college by assisting in providing an environment within the residence halls conducive to academic achievement.
- Assist with students' transition through college life and to their self-development to the extent that each understands and evaluates their own purpose for being in college.
- Assist in the coordination and implementation of central office responsibilities including:
- Gustavus Residential Experience (curricular model)
- Room Selection
- Gustie Gear up (Summer orientation for incoming FY Students)
- Training Orientation Tour Guides
- Serve as a resource for students in academic, co-curricular and extra-curricular areas; to provide program and staff support for proper recognition and referral of students' personal problems.
- Facilitate (via coordination with Director, Assistant Director Operations, Area Coordinators and Collegiate Fellows) the development of programs and strategies aligned with the GRE that will assist students in developing in each of the core value areas of the college (Excellence, Justice, Community, Service, and Faith).
- Coordinate administrative functions within area of responsibility in central office.
- Develop positive collaborative relationships with departments, including but not limited to the Physical Plant, Campus Safety, Dining Services, Counseling Center, Academic Support Center, Health Services, the Chaplain’s Office, Financial Aid, Admission, and the Diversity Center.
- Interpret college objectives, policies, rules and regulations to students and to interpret student attitudes, opinions and actions to appropriate college officials.
- Serve as the Residential Life conduct coordinator, approving charges for Area Coordinators and being a hearing officer for administrative (1:1) and conduct board hearings.
- Assist in the formation of policies that govern residential life; to assist students in understanding policies established for community living; to work with staff members in dealing with inappropriate behavior they encounter and in developing programs to address those problems; and to adjudicate cases through the campus conduct process.
- Promote the safety of students, student property and the property of the College.
- Participate in campus-wide on-call rotation; to arrange absences with the Director of Residential Life; to attend staff meetings called by the Director or Dean of Students; to represent the College in dealing with students, parents and visitors to the halls.
- To undertake any other reasonable duties that may be requested or assigned by the Director of Residential Life or the Dean of Students.
- This position has been designated as weather- or emergency-essential. In the event of a closure of the College, it is vital that you report to work if scheduled. In addition, as a member of the Essential Weather Employee Team, you may be asked to work beyond your normal hours to ensure coverage within your department/office. As a salaried employee, this work will not be compensated with additional pay.
- All other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in Education, Student Personnel, Student Affairs or related field
- Residence hall experience, including supervising and advising, program facilitation and coordination, knowledge of social media platforms, knowledge of assessment and, knowledge of student conduct and use of software systems
- Master’s Degree in Education, Student Personnel, Student Affairs or related field
- Prior experience as professional Hall Director/Area Coordinator; working with student leadership programs in college or university setting; working with a residential curriculum, experience designing, distributing, and interpreting and creating assessments within Qualtrics software, prior conduct experience and experience with Maxient conduct software, experience with google platforms and Qualtrics.
- Some evening and weekend commitments required (in addition to on-call duty rotation).
- Due to on-call responsibilities this position is required to live in St. Peter MN.
Gustavus Adolphus College does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, disability, religion, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, or veteran status in its education or employment programs or activities. Click on the following link to learn more about Gustavus's campus-wide commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion.
Gustavus Adolphus College is one of the nation’s leading private liberal arts colleges serving over 2,400 students. The College aspires to be a community of persons from diverse backgrounds who respect and affirm the dignity of all people. Known for its strong science, writing, music, athletics, study-away, and service-learning programs, Gustavus is located on a scenic 340-acre hill in St. Peter, Minnesota only one hour southwest of the Twin Cities.
- Start Date: No Start Date
- Education: Bachelor's Degree Required
- Work Experience: 1 - 3 years
- Part/Full Time: Full-Time
Contact / Additional Information
To apply for this position, please continue the process our website, www.gustavus.edu/humanresources/employment to complete the online application. A complete application will include the following attachments. Incomplete applications will not be reviewed by the search committee.
- Online Application
- Cover Letter
- Contact information for three (3) references