George Mason UniversityFairfax, VA United States
The George Mason University, Student Involvement within University Life, invites applications for the Assistant Director of Student Involvement for Campus Events position.
George Mason University has a strong institutional commitment to the achievement of excellence and diversity among its faculty and staff, and strongly encourages candidates to apply who will enrich Mason’s academic and culturally inclusive environment.
About Student Involvement:
Student Involvement is an exciting office comprised of major events, Patriot Activities Council, Student Government, Fraternity & Sorority Life, Registered Student Organizations, TEDxGeorgeMasonU, GMU Esports, SI2GO Program, Student Funding Board, Mason Miracle and TEAM SI.
Student Involvement helps students GetConnected to Mason Nation through campus-wide events, student organizations, trainings, student advocacy and personal interactions to bring ideas to fruition, create a sense of belonging and prepare students for success in their future.
About the Position:
The Associate Director of Student Involvement for Campus Events and Promotions, Assistant Director of Student Involvement for Residential Engagement, and Assistant Director of Student Involvement for Campus Events will work as a leadership team to provide oversight, support, advisement and learning opportunities to the student-led Program Board, Patriot Activities Council. Together the team works to ignite the spirit of campus through educational and social programs, as well as large scale campus traditions. Additionally, the Assistant Director of Student Involvement for Campus Events will directly mange the SI2GO program mobile events truck, and it’s student staff, the Mason Spirit Squad.
- Serve as one of the advisors for the Patriot Activities Council;
- Directly advise minimum 2 Directors of Programming in addition to a minimum of 1 Lead Team position within the Patriot Activities Council;
- Supervise, train, support and evaluate a Graduate Professional Assistant assigned to the Campus Events area;
- Oversee the development, implementation and successful execution of student-led programming traditions such as Homecoming Week activities, Mason Mayhem, IVth Night, Gold Rush and Winter Warm Up;
- Develop and facilitate leadership training and retreats for members of the Patriot Activities Council, including but not limited to the following topics: leadership, event planning and event management, marketing and promotion, peer advising, facilitation, contract negotiation, risk management, etc.;
- Manage budgets that total in excess of $200,000;
- Draft, oversee, and edit all event and entertainment contracts and processes for Patriot Activities Council;
- Manage the SI2Go Mobile Student Involvement truck and supervise 2-3 student staff on the Mason Spirit Squad;
- Work collaboratively with University partners on existing and new University-wide initiatives;
- Serve on committees within University Life, and others such as Welcome2Mason, Homecoming, and Mason Day;
- Participate as an active member of the University Life/Student Involvement professional staff, attending departmental meetings, collaborating with other staff members, and assisting in-office and department-wide initiatives and programs;
- Provide on-site supervision and advising, which sometimes includes physical event set-up, and evening/weekend hours; and
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
- A master’s degree plus some demonstrated professional experience in student activities, residence life or related area within Student Affairs or an equivalent combination of education and experience;
- Experience in direct advisement and leadership development of students and student organizations;
- Experience with event management, event assessment, risk management and budgeting;
- Demonstrated ability to provide follow through and meet deadlines;
- A professional who is highly creative and flexible with a passion for event planning; and
- A demonstrated commitment to diversity and the practice of open and effective communication with students, faculty and staff to build and maintain collaborative relationships is desired.
- Large-scale event management experience;
- Direct advisement of a program board;
- Experience managing conflict; and
- Clean driving record.
Special Instructions to Applicants
For full consideration, applicants must apply for position number FA558Z at https://jobs.gmu.edu/; complete and submit the online application; and upload a cover letter, resume, and a list of three professional references with contact information.
George Mason University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, committed to promoting inclusion and equity in its community. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability or veteran status, or any characteristic protected by law.
- Start Date: No Start Date
- Education: Master's Degree Required
- Work Experience: 0 - 2 years
- Part/Full Time: Full-Time