Merrimack CollegeNorth Andover, MA United States
Position Description & Responsibilities
This position will provide leadership and coordination of an inclusive, comprehensive selection, training, and development plan for all professional, graduate and student staff members. Lead all department efforts and initiatives related to student conduct, students of concern, and wellness. Primary responsibility for building a strategic Living Learning and Affinity Learning Communities, including promotion and training of LLC/ALC advisors, and educating campus partners about the opportunities and benefits associated with our LLC program. Manage break housing, the closing of the halls, and the assessment of all departmental initiatives. This position directly supervises two professional area coordinators and indirectly supervises two area coordinators, seven graduate resident directors, and 66+ resident advisors.
This is a full-time, 12-month, live-on position with on-call responsibilities for high-level concerns.
- Manage and provide leadership of an inclusive, comprehensive selection, training, and development program for all professional, graduate and student staff members.
- Directly supervise 2 Area Coordinators, indirectly supervise 2 Area Coordinators, 7 Graduate Resident Directors. and 66+ Resident Advisors.
- Co-Chair the Living Living Commuinity Committee and lead the group in building a strategic Living Learning and Affinity Learning Community experience including promotion and training of LLC/ALC advisors, and educating campus partners about the opportunities and benefits associated with our LLC program.
- Develop and maintain documents pertaining to recruitment, selection, training, and development, including, but not limited to Google sites, manuals, forms, JotForms, staff files and promotional materials for professional and paraprofessional staff. Manage and update the department’s Standard Operating Guidelines for the department.
- Promote positive professional staff and RA morale; coordinate appreciation and recognition efforts. Provide professional development opportunities for staff.
- Manage the closing of the halls and break housing process, including approving students who need to stay on campus during break periods, and serving as a liaison with athletics and other departments to ensure that accurate records are kept of students allowed to stay during breaks.
- Lead assessment of department initiatives and the reporting of the collected data.
- Work collaboratively with offices across campus, including being the primary liaison to the Office of Community Standards, the Office of Counseling and Wellness, and Merrimack College Police Department to provide an optimal student experience for students.
- Serve as a member of the CARE Committee and Orientation Committee.
- Provide monthly development opportunities for the RA staff, and manage summer online preparatory training for RAs.
- Engages a diverse student body and staff in fostering a welcoming, supportive, and inclusive environment that promotes connection to campus life, while maintaining high-levels of customer-service for students, parents, and campus partners.
- Participates in college-wide events, including recruitment events, open houses, Accepted Student Days, residence hall openings, Orientation, Welcome Week, Family Weekend, and Commencement.
- Assist with central office tasks like attending weekly staff meetings, participate in departmental committees, maintain familiarity with current trends in higher education, and manage departmental calendar.
- Serve as student conduct hearing officer, update database and information associated with each case.
- Serve as a member of the on campus emergency response team in the event of an emergency or crisis situation.
- Serve in the administrator on call rotation.
- Serve on college committees as designated by the Director of Residence Life.
- Other duties as assigned by Director of Residence Life and/or Associate Dean of Students.
- Master’s required; At least 5 years of increasing experience and responsibilities in a college or university residential environment that includes residence life, staff selection, or staff training.
- Understanding of college student development
- Multicultural competence and a demonstrated commitment to and experiences with diversity, equity and inclusion.
- Program planning, assessment, and development
- Computer skills (Microsoft office/Publisher)
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Culturally responsive conflict resolution and creative problem-solving skills
- Experience building collaborative partnerships with faculty, administrators, students, parents/families, and community partners.
- Understanding of college student development & college environment
- 4-5 years of progressively increased responsibility and experience with college aged students
- Prior work experience in staff recruitment, training, and development preferred.
- Prior work experience in residence life preferred.
Statement on Our Mission
Merrimack College is a Catholic Augustinian institution of higher education committed to building a culturally and racially diverse community. Our mission is to enlighten minds, engage hearts and empower lives and is inspired by our Catholic faith and the Augustinian tradition of seeking truth through inquiry and dialogue.
Merrimack College seeks candidates who understand, respect and can contribute to Merrimack’s Augustinian mission and values and advance our work in the area of diversity, equity and inclusion. We strongly encourage applications from members of underrepresented groups. All candidates should describe in their application previous experience related to equity, diversity, and inclusion, as well as how they will engage in fostering a culture that supports our Augustinian mission, our Catholic faith and our values of diversity, equity and inclusion.
Application materials should include:
Cover letter stating motivation and interest in the position, citing experience relevant to the qualifications and including experience with, and commitment to, our Catholic Augustinian mission, our values, and our desire to be a more diverse, equitable and inclusive institution of higher learning.
Resume or Curriculum Vitae
This position is subject to the successful completion of a criminal background check.
Required Vaccinations & Remote Work:
Unless otherwise stated above, this is an on-campus position. This is not a remote or hybrid position as employees are essential in order to provide a fully on-campus, residential college experience for our students and the community.
Merrimack College currently has a COVID-19 Vaccination Policy. Students, faculty and staff are required to be vaccinated for COVID-19.
About Merrimack College:
The only Catholic, Augustinian institution of higher education in New England, Merrimack College is a private, independent, coeducational institution with more than 5,000 undergraduates and graduate students from 32 states and 37 countries, and comprises schools of liberal arts, science and engineering, health sciences, education and social policy, and business. The college’s 260- acre campus is approximately 25 miles north of Boston in North Andover and Andover, Massachusetts. Merrimack is a Master’s Colleges & Universities/Medium Programs institution in the Carnegie Classification of Institutions of Higher Education. Merrimack is one of the fastest growing educational institutions in the country and has steadily climbed up U.S. News & World Report’s ranking of Best Colleges, coming in 46th out of 170 schools ranked in the Regional Universities North category in 2020. Merrimack is also listed as one of the top 10 most innovative schools and placed 35th for best undergraduate teaching programs among schools in the U.S. News category.
Merrimack College is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
- Start Date: No Start Date
- Education: Master's Degree Required
- Work Experience: 4 - 6 years
- Part/Full Time: Full-Time