Saint Mary's College of CaliforniaMoraga, CA United States
Job Number: 2015-1602727
Department: FINANCE & ADMINISTRATION DEPARTMENT
Founded in 1863, Saint Mary's is a residential campus nestled 20 miles east of San Francisco in the picturesque Moraga Valley. Based in the Catholic, Lasallian and Liberal Arts traditions, Saint Mary's currently enrolls more than 4,000 students from diverse backgrounds in undergraduate and graduate programs. The De La Salle Christian Brothers, the largest teaching order of the Roman Catholic Church, guide the spiritual and academic character of the College.
As a comprehensive and independent institution, Saint Mary's offers undergraduate and graduate programs integrating liberal and professional education. Saint Mary's reputation for excellence, innovation, and responsiveness in education stems from its vibrant heritage as a Catholic, Lasallian and Liberal Arts institution. An outstanding, committed faculty and staff that value shared inquiry, integrative learning, and student interaction bring these traditions to life in the 21st century. The College is committed to the educational benefits of diversity.
This position provides excellent customer service for Saint Mary's College of California (SMC) regarding billing, tuition, fees, payment history, and financial aid disbursements for the Student Accounts Department. It further acts as the compliance officer for billing-related issues by reviewing practices, conducting investigations, maintaining regulatory knowledge and preparing documents for NCAA athletes, Veterans Affairs and other government-related billing.
This position provides training and support on A/R functions and assists in the development and refinement of policies and procedures relating to student accounts, collections, and cashiering. This position is the first telephone and email contact and is required to use analytical skills to verify, analyze, and resolve related issues. This position supervises student workers and requires a high level of professionalism and knowledge of College-wide policies and deadlines. This position also performs accounting tasks such as reconciling the payment plan and daily cash receipts, producing special bills, and other report analysis. This position maintains professional contact at all times to ensure customer satisfaction and student retention. Additionally, this position performs cashiering functions and cash receipts reconciliation. Confidentiality regarding financial issues, bank accounts, grades, and taxes is essential.
1. Customer Service and Data Integrity:
- Assists and advises students, parents, and SMC community with questions regarding their account and other business related issues.
- Explores and investigates discrepancies with data.
- Participates as lead speaker for Student Accounts during New Student Orientation programs.
- Updates website as needed.
- Advises students of their financial obligation and controls the "holds" on accounts when students are delinquent. Reviews numerous daily reports to ensure student satisfaction and data integrity.
- Manages a high number of phone calls and emails for all active and prospective students and their families.
- Reviews, monitors, and controls the main business office voice-mail system.
- Maintains professional contact and confidentiality at all times to ensure customer satisfaction.
- Supervises student workers. Serves as the first point of contact for Student Accounts.
- Prepares refunds for mailing and releases refunds while staying in compliance of Federal law and College policies.
- Understands and communicates billing policies for 12 different academic levels in three different terms.
- Acts as a liaison with graduate/professional programs such as Graduate Education, Graduate Business, Fine Arts, Leadership and Graduate Kinesiology regarding billing and payments.
- Coordinates with graduate programs regarding the scheduling of bills, holds, and payment of account balances. Works with individual department heads when problems arise.
- Manages and maintains the student identification card production.
- Processes the photo id's on a regular basis and trouble-shoots any technical issues.
- Works with the Office of Public Safety regarding student id cards.
- Reviews the Withdrawal/Leave of Absence weekly report. Ensures withdrawal dates and tuition charges are accurate when closing the student record. Works closely with the Registrar's Office and the Financial Aid Office to rectify any discrepancies.
- Prepares special bills to agencies such as Veterans Affairs, Department of Rehabilitation, PG&E, Stanford, and ROTC in addition to various school districts associated with the Graduate School of Education.
- Remains current with college, departmental, federal and state regulations and ensures compliance within the office. Acts as the main liaison with the Athletic Compliance Department regarding NCAA rules pertaining to refunds/stipends and athletic awards. Identifies processes in the department needing improvement.
- Posts graduation fees, traffic fines, and other miscellaneous charges to student accounts. Works closely with the Public Safety Office regarding the removal/reduction of traffic citations.
2. Analytical Review and Problem Solving:
- Analyzes and resolves billing and payment problems. Identifies errors or discrepancies, determines origination of error, communicates error to student, parent, or department head and recommends corrective action. Works closely with Financial Aid Office, Registrar's Office, Campus Housing Office, Health Center, and Athletic Office (Compliance Dept) to ensure data accuracy and data quality.
- Reviews the employee Tuition Waiver forms and records the appropriate tuition amount for the Human Resources Department, Financial Aid Office and Payroll. Maintains accurate filing of forms.
- Tracks all Part-Time petitions to ensure student remains under full-time course load. Posts and tracks monthly parking citations and weekly disciplinary/conduct fines.
- Analyzes amounts for special bills to third parties. Provides companies and/or students with customized bills for reimbursement purposes. Creates online invoice for military services. Creates and tracks invoices with Department of Vocational Rehabilitation.
Familiarity with rules and regulations concerning NCAA and FERPA regulations in addition to other government-run programs:
- *Federal regulations- Educated on Federal Privacy laws (FERPA) and Federal Aid regulations known as Title IV to assure proper communication with students and parents as well as identifying inappropriate postings to student accounts of federal aid.
- *National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) - Educated on rules concerning athletic grants and stipends. Works directly with Athletic Director of Compliance.
- *PCI Compliance- Knowledge of credit card laws to ensure proper handling of credit card information.
- *Financial Privacy laws - Responsible for the proper handling of bank information, credit scores, income and asset details (knowledge on Red Flag Rules, Buckley Amendment, Fair Debt and Collections Act, Hipaa).
- *Maintains appropriate confidentiality at all times.
4. Cash Handling, Cashiering and Fiduciary Responsibility:
- Accurately posts all cash receipts for student and non-student payments, including the review of online payments through Touchnet processing site and restricted cash receipts.
- Posts and reconciles daily departmental deposits and balances the daily cash receipts through Bank of America's remote deposit functionality. Prepares bank deposits.
- Disburses petty cash and releases refunds.
- Maintain security and accuracy of cash drawer and petty cash drawer.
- Communicates payment procedures and fees to SMC community and provides appropriate forms and instruction.
- Provides back-up for NSF check processing and prepares checks for redeposit.
- Pulls in bank wires and ACH payments and posts appropriate payments.
5. Other Duties:
Helps support the Business Office with various tasks and other duties assigned. Such as:
- Assists with "Term clean up" for the Touchnet system to reflect correct term balance.
- Works in conjunction with Director of Student Accounts and Assistant Director when reviewing the credit balance report. Researches accounts before requesting a refund.
- Works with Assistant Controller when reviewing stale-dated checks and board point reconciliation.
- Assists Director of Student Accounts with the review of Jan Term Travel Rosters and deposits.
- Forfeits deposits when necessary.
- Provides help with Federal 1098T questions. Assists with the mailing and organization of over 6,000 1098T tax forms. Assists with the mailing of opening bill flyer, cumulative borrower statements, and other bulk mailings.
Experience and Qualifications
Education: REQUIRED: Bachelor's degree PREFERRED: Master's
Experience: One-year customer service experience required plus knowledge of accounts receivable/collection/cashiering functions are necessary. Regulatory knowledge as it relates to NCAA compliance, Federal Title IV aid and FERPA. Prior higher education experience preferred.
Skills/Abilities: Excellent customer service skills in a high volume office. Accountability, problem-solving, and decision-making ability. Initiative. Knowledge of NCAA compliance issues, FERPA and appropriate implementation of the law. Awareness of Red Flag rules, Title IV regulations and Fair Debt and Collections Act. Ability to communicate clearly and effectively, ability to navigate and understand online billing and payment systems (Touchnet), payment plan system (Touchnet), special billing systems (AI Portal WAWF, Go Army), ability to use 10-key and have general office skills. Excellent oral and writing skills. Ability to learn new software and interpret technical data. Accuracy, attention to detail, and organizational skills required. Ability to work independently and multi-task while maintaining the highest level of confidentiality.
Licenses & Certifications: REQUIRED: NA
Other Requirements: Occasional weekends and/or early morning/late evening hours required during orientation and registration periods. Strong work ethic.
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
- Start Date: No Start Date
- Education: High School or Equivalent
- Work Experience: 1 - 3 years
- Part/Full Time: Full-Time
Contact / Additional Information
Closing: 2/5/2021 11:59 PM Pacific
Include a cover letter that specifically addresses how you meet the qualifications and are prepared to support the mission of the College
- A resume
- The name and contact information for three (3) professional references.
- In applying for a position, candidates sign a consent authorizing a broader inquiry which may include reference checks, a motor vehicle check, and a third party background check. Saint Mary's is an equal employment opportunity employer. We support inclusive excellence and are committed to creating a safe and welcoming community for all.
College policy prohibits discrimination based on race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, medical condition, physical or mental disability, gender stereotyping, and gender identity, taking a protected leave (e.g. family medical or pregnancy leave), or on any other basis protected by applicable laws.
Saint Mary's College annually collects information about campus crimes and other reportable incidents in accordance with the federal Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act. To view the Saint Mary's College Report, please go to the Public Safety website at http://www.stmarys-ca.edu/public-safety/annual-security-and-fire-safety-report-0. To request a paper copy please call Public Safety at (925) 631-4284. The report includes the type of crime, venue, and number of occurrences.