Keuka CollegeKeuka Park, NY United States
Reports To: Director of Housing & Residence Life
Position Type: Full-time, 12 month
Standard Hours: 40 hours/week
FLSA Status: Exempt
Employee Classification: Support Staff
The Resident Director plays an integral role in shaping the experience of residential students and will assist in developing a premier residential experience that supports the mission of Keuka College. The Resident Director is a key member of Student Life with responsibilities related to student development, critical campus emergency response, and engaging and assisting students with concerns and issues. The Resident Director is a full-time, 12-month, live-in position (mandatory) that will require evening, weekend, and on-call hours with remuneration including salary, housing, and partial meal allowance.
- Operate, supervise, and oversee all administrative functions of one or more assigned campus residential living units (i.e. residence hall, apartment complex).
- Oversee and assist all assigned Resident Assistants in developing intentional plans to further the academic, social, and personal development of residents through community building and programming activities.
- Select, supervise, develop, evaluate, and oversee a staff of 11-28 Resident Assistants.
- Coordinate weekly staff meetings to provide relevant information and clear communication.
- Function as a mandated reporter for incidents relating to sexual and interpersonal misconduct, mental health, and substance abuse.
- Assist in the implementation of building and facility safety and security measures and administrative duties including but not limited to health and safety inspections, fire drills and inspections, roster verification, hall openings, and closings, break openings and closings, room assignments, Room Condition Reports (RCRs), and the work requisitions process.
- Facilitate the housing selection process, roommate issues, room changes for respective halls.
- Serve as a resource to all residential students providing initial counseling and connecting to support services in areas of intrapersonal conflicts, personal health and wellness, and academic success including follow-up to ensure satisfactory resolution.
- Maintain housing records and files.
- Act as liaison and reporter to Facilities Services regarding building maintenance, custodial concerns, and other services that support students and overall campus life.
- Enforce community standards, the student code of conduct, and College policies and regulations as outlined in the Student Handbook.
- Serve as Conduct Hearing Officer for Student Conduct & Community Standards system.
- Develop knowledge of campus and community resources to ensure timely and efficient referrals when appropriate.
- Serve as an academic success advisor or support for assigned students as a Wolf Guide.
- Chair, serve on and support through involvement department, division and college committees, and task forces.
- Participate in departmental and divisional professional selection, training, and development events such as Resident Assistant Fall and Mid-Year Training, In-Services, along with campus, divisional, and departmental mandatory group activities.
- Establish and maintain communication about student issues and concerns to the appropriate office/department as warranted.
- Work with RAs to assess student needs and interests; anticipate and promote educational, cultural, social, recreational, and service programs, and help students connect with appropriate clubs, organizations, and events.
- Serve as the Resident Director On Duty (RDOD) as on-call personnel for residence halls on a rotating basis.
- Responsible for ensuring that assigned tasks are completed in compliance with various departmental, divisional, institutional, and regulatory requirements.
- Maintain a professional and courteous attitude at all times towards co-workers, internal and external customers, representing Keuka College, its programs, policies, and procedures in a positive and professional manner. Maintain effective working relationships to ensure institution-wide teamwork.
- Attend provided/necessary training and other meetings to support effectiveness within the position as required.
- Consistently demonstrate high standards of integrity by supporting the Keuka College mission, vision, and values and adhering to institutional policies.
- Be actively engaged in the promotion and support of departmental, divisional, and institutional directives in alliance with Diversity, Equity, and Inclusiveness initiatives.
- Maintain a high regard for student privacy in accordance with the FERPA privacy policies and procedures.
- Support the Associate Director of Housing and the Student Life Office Coordinator in the new student Fall assignment
- In conjunction with the Associate Director of Housing, coordinate summer housing, including building prep, room assignments, and move processes.
- Responsible for all administrative aspects of summer housing staffing, including selection, training, scheduling, and supervision of Resident Assistant and work-study student positions, including on-call and duty schedule.
- Support the Coordinator of Conference Services with summer conferences, including building prep, check-in, and check-out processes.
- In collaboration with the Director of Housing & Residence Life, oversee the design and implementation of the Fall RA and Mid-Year Training schedules.
- Assist with all summer facility-related activities such as room key checks, room, and common area prep, Room Condition Reports (RCRs), furniture delivery and moves, renovation projects, and routine repairs and maintenance notifications and coordination.
- Participate in professional development activities as provided by the College, including regional and national memberships, affiliations, and conference attendance.
- Regular and reliable attendance is expected and required.
- Perform other functions as assigned by management.
- Bachelor’s Degree required; Master’s Degree in Higher Education, Student Personnel Administration or related field preferred.
- Two years’ experience in Residence Life as a para or professional staff member.
- Ability to work independently with high attention to detail.
- Experience and desire to work with college-age students, including international students.
- Possess strong organizational skills and creativity.
- Excellent interpersonal and customer service skills required. Ability to work well with a wide variety of work styles and diverse populations.
- Ability to effectively communicate both verbally and in writing.
- Understand and behave with a high level of integrity and complete confidentiality at all times.
- Ability to be sensitive to and respond to the needs/concerns of students, faculty, college staff, and the public.
- Ability to work under pressure with a high tolerance for interruptions, and the ability to work with diverse groups of people.
- Occasional evening hours/weekends.
- Occasional lifting up to 25 lbs.
In support of the Americans with Disabilities Act, this job description lists only those responsibilities and qualifications deemed essential to the position.
Equal Opportunity Employer
- Start Date: No Start Date
- Education: Bachelor's Degree Required
- Work Experience: 0 - 2 years
- Part/Full Time: Full-Time
Contact / Additional Information
All interested candidates should apply at https://www.keuka.edu/hr/employment-opportunities