University of Houston - Clear Lake77058, TX United States
Reporting to the Vice President for Student Affairs, the Assistant Vice President for Student Engagement (AVPSE) at the University of Houston-Clear Lake (UHCL) provides senior and executive level leadership within the Division of Students Affairs for student services and engagement, promoting and ensuring a sense of connection to the campus community and implementing holistic student success initiatives through oversight of the Offices of Student Diversity, Equity and Inclusion, Student Involvement and Leadership, Career Services, Veteran Services, and Orientation and New Student Programs.
Works directly with UHCL students, staff, Deans, faculty, administrators and external campus partners to provide leadership, guidance, oversight and implementation of the University’s student engagement initiatives and co-curricular learning.
Provides administrative and budgetary oversight and overall supervision and professional development of staff, management of personnel related issues, for the following departments: Student Diversity, Equity and Inclusion, Student Involvement and Leadership, Career Services, Veteran Services, and Orientation and New Student Programs.
Responsible for utilizing campus and divisional for assessment, both qualitative and quantitative, to actively and consistently assess and evaluate the effectiveness of programs, activities and engagement efforts within the Division and across and through the campus.
Serves as the Divisional liaison to external partners, constituents and community leaders, working directly with University Advancement and Strategic Partnerships to build and foster relationships.
Serves on University and divisional level committees, working directly with UHCL College Deans and faculty to develop positive working relationships throughout the University in developing co-curricular initiatives that will enhance student engagement and learning.
Represents the Office of the Vice President for Student Affairs and the Division of Student Affairs during evenings, weekends and special events.
Serves as Chief Student Affairs Officer in absence of the VPSA and performs other duties as assigned.
- Doctoral degree or equivalent.
- Demonstrated progressive leadership experience in student affairs, student engagement and/or co-curricular learning.
- Sound knowledge base of student engagement and development theory.
- Must have strong budgetary, interpersonal skills, including written and verbal communication skills. Must have excellent public relation skills and ability to collaborate with many diverse constituencies and must be able to build relationships across campus with faculty, staff and students.
- Able to create and maintain a variety of records, reports and files. Must have the ability to manage multiple tasks and projects simultaneously, ability to take initiative for projects and development of services within office, and coordination of initiatives among five distinct departments.
- Excellent time management and organizational skills.
- Outstanding leadership skills to manage change and help focus University agenda on student engagement and co-curricular learning.
- Able to use data-driven decision-making approach to budgetary priorities and program implementation.
- Knowledge of best practices in delivery of and assessment of student engagement programs and services. Skills to implement effective assessment practices.
- Established ability to work with and advocate for traditionally underserved students and to support faculty and staff meeting the needs of these students and commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion and ability to work in a diverse higher education environment.
- Strong crisis management skills and demonstrated experience successfully working through crisis situations, with knowledge of mental health issues and laws impacting campus professionals and students.
- An understanding and deep commitment to social justice and demonstrated cultural competence with a strong belief in the value of diversity in enriching the learning experience and the quality of life on campus.
Experience managing and supervising multiple departments/units within Student Affairs.
Notes to Applicant:
To apply, please complete the online application and attach a resume. Criminal and motor background checks required. Review of completed applications begins immediately. Applications without the required documents will be considered incomplete and disqualified. UHCL is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer supporting workplace diversity. Proof of eligibility to work in the U.S. must be provided as condition of employment. We reserve the right to extend the search or not fill position. Only those applicants selected for further consideration will be contacted.
University of Houston-Clear Lake is proud to be recognized by the U.S. Department of the Interior as a member of the Minority Serving Institutions Program. UHCL is an HSI: Hispanic Serving Institution and is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer supporting workplace diversity.
Salary: Commensurate with experience.
- Start Date: 1/4/2021 - Approximate
- Education: Doctorate Required
- Work Experience: 3 - 5 years
- Part/Full Time: Full-Time
Contact / Additional Information