Arkansas School for Mathematics, Sciences and ArtHot Springs, AR United States
A. Develops and provides services for ASMSA’s most talented students:
- Provides oversight of the ASMSA Scholar Development Program that ensures success for top-performing students at the national level.
- Facilitates a leadership development curriculum that promotes community and social responsibility.
- Offers strategy and planning sessions on test prep, essay writing, and selective college admissions.
- Assists faculty in identifying and promoting internship, research and summer learning opportunities.
- Assists research faculty and students in fielding competitive applications for the Siemens Competition, Intel Science Talent Search, NCSSS Summer Research Conference and other national and international programs.
B. Develops and provides services for ASMSA’s at-risk students:
- Develops an overall academic profile and personalized plan for success for students who enter ASMSA with lower levels of preparation.
- Communicates effectively with faculty and parents regarding students who are underperforming in classes.
- Meets individually with students in academic duress to assess progress and plans for improvement.
- Serves as a member of the ASMSA Student Strategies Team.
C. Organizes and executes systems that aid students in the exploration, identification, and selection of college options:
- Organizes and maintains appropriate counseling materials
- Maintains the Naviance/Family Connection online systems and provides training to students, parents, and staff on its application to the college discover and application process.
- Provides testing coordination for the Advanced Placement program, Universal ACT, PSAT/NMSQT, ASVAB and other required assessments.
- Provides current college and resource information to all students.
- Conducts information sessions relating to college admissions, financial aid, and scholarships for current students and parents.
- Organizes and conducts the ASMSA College Fair during the fall semester.
- Advises students on appropriate coursework and assists in the scheduling of classes that satisfy Arkansas Smart Core, ASMSA, and specific university requirements.
- Advises students Guides students on procedures and timelines related to the Arkansas Academic Challenge Scholarship and Governor’s Distinguished Scholarship programs.
D. Staff Development:
- Provides in-service training on guidance issues for faculty, parents and students.
- Serves as a resource to faculty and staff on guidance issues.
- Attends conferences and workshops to stay current on relevant subjects, especially in the areas of college admissions, scholarships, financial aid and College Board exams.
- Assists in student recruitment and orientation activities.
- Assists in promotional activities for ASMSA.
- Serves as a partner in developing relationships to community organizations that engage, inspire, and connect ASMSA to opportunities for growth and experiential learning.
E. Student Development:
- Provides individual counseling when appropriate.
- Conducts small group or classroom guidance activities.
- Assists Dean of Academic Affairs and Dean of Students in determining student needs.
- Works with administration, faculty and staff in meeting needs of at-risk students.
- Start Date: 9/1/2020 - Approximate
- Education: Master's Degree Preferred
- Work Experience: 1 - 3 years
- Part/Full Time: Full-Time