Blackburn CollegeCarlinville, IL United States
Blackburn College, a unique four-year liberal arts college with a student-managed work program located in Carlinville, IL, seeks applicants for a Director of Student Advocacy & Outreach. The Director will serve as a professional staff member of the Office of Student Life under the supervision of the Vice President and Dean of Student Affairs. This individual will work to provide outreach to all students starting from orientation to graduation by promoting equitable programs for academic and social success.
- Outreach and advocate for students of color and other underrepresented groups to support a campus culture of diversity, inclusion, equity, and success
- Outreach and connect students identified from the Early Alert Support Team (EAST) to student success resources
- Collaborate with the Admissions Office by meeting with prospective students interested in campus equity
- Collaborate with Athletics Department to provide additional support for student athlete success
- Collaborate with partners providing campus events and activities as they relate to equity (ex: Diversity & Inclusion Committee, Student Activities, etc.)
- Advise student organizations (ex: Black Student Union)
- Work closely with Residence Hall staff to help develop a residential college success and completion program
- Train, supervise, and evaluate student staff (including a GA) assigned to work in support of equity, orientation, student success and persistence.
- Become familiar with and actively coordinate services for students needing assistance from other campus offices: ie. The Student Success Center, Counseling Services, Disability Services, the Work Program Office, Financial Aid, Business Office, etc.
- Work closely with the Director of the Student Success Center to help implement Academic Improvement Plans for students on Academic Warning or Probation.
- Coordinate new student orientation—including both summer orientation and orientation (Welcome Week) for new students at the beginning of both fall and spring semesters. This would be in cooperation with all Student Life Staff & would include recruiting & training student orientation leaders and designing & revising online orientation.
- Serve in rotation as an on-call professional staff member.
- Serve as a trained investigator, conduct hearing board member, and advocate for EEO & Title IX policy violations
- Coordinate all communication, programs & activities involved with the Give Something Back Foundation & the ACI (Associated Colleges of Illinois) mentoring program
- Full position description available at http://blackburn.edu
- Master’s degree preferred; bachelor’s degree with equivalent experience required.
- Working knowledge of best practices for student success.
- Ability to motivate and mentor at-risk college students.
- Strong organizational skills and ability to multi-task is required, as are effective time management skills.
- Willingness to be on and around campus frequent evenings to connect with new students.
- Strong PC Skills required including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.
- High-energy self-starter; must be able to take initiative and be comfortable working both as an individual and as part of a team.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills & excellent interpersonal skills with various stakeholders.
- Ability to foster positive campus relationships.
Blackburn College is an Equal Opportunity Employer and seeks to build an inclusive community that can engage the interests of a diverse population. We are committed to fostering, cultivating, and sustaining a culture that reflects the diversity of our country, and as such, we particularly encourage applications from members of underrepresented groups such as women, people of color, LGBTQIA+, veterans, and those with disabilities.
- Start Date: No Start Date
- Education: Master's Degree Preferred
- Work Experience: 2 - 4 years
- Part/Full Time: Full-Time
Contact / Additional Information
Interested candidates should submit a resume, cover letter and names of three references to the address below. Please include in your cover letter a statement detailing how you have and plan to continue to support the success of underrepresented students and Blackburn’s commitment to diversity, inclusion, and equity. Application materials can be sent to: Human Resources, Blackburn College, 700 College Ave., Ludlum 215, Carlinville, IL 62626 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Employment-based immigration sponsorship is not offered for this position. Phone calls or walk-ins not accepted. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.