SUNY OneontaOneonta, NY United States
The Division of Strategy, Planning and Effectiveness at the State University of New York College at Oneonta invites applications for the position of Strategic Business Analyst (SBA). Reporting to the Vice President for Strategy, Planning and Effectiveness, the SBA will function as the lead business analyst for the Division and work in coordination with key stakeholders across the college community to document process flows, identify gaps, and create efficiencies. The SBA collaborates closely with other key stakeholders such as the Office of Information Technology, Office of Institutional Research, and administrative offices to implement best practices and solutions in support of the College’s commitments to excellent student services.
SUNY Oneonta is a public college in Central New York, enrolling about 6,500 students in bachelor’s, master’s and graduate certificate programs. Most of SUNY Oneonta’s main campus lies within the City of Oneonta, which is located in the northern foothills of the Catskill Mountains, about a four-hour drive from New York City, Boston and Philadelphia. With a population just shy of 14,000, the City of Oneonta is the largest municipality in a rural region dominated by agriculture and tourism.
Known as an exemplary residential campus that values inclusion, service and sustainability, SUNY Oneonta is a nurturing community where students grow intellectually, thrive socially and live purposefully. Employees give SUNY Oneonta high marks for work/life balance and culture. The College’s indeed.com and glassdoor.com ratings are 4.5 and 4.1, respectively.
Beyond campus, many residents enjoy the natural beauty of the Catskills. Outdoor activities such as hiking, biking and running are among the most popular. Several ski areas nearby typically operate for seasons lasting over 100 days beginning in late November or early December. During the summer, boating, swimming and other water sports are popular on lakes throughout the region.
The Division of Strategy, Planning and Effectiveness is a team of dedicated professionals serving the College’s undergraduate and graduate students in the offices of Undergraduate Admissions, Graduate Admissions, Financial Aid & Scholarships, and Institutional Research. To learn more about the College, please visit https://suny.oneonta.edu/ .
Duties include but not limited to: ensuring that initiatives/projects are properly supported through requirements gathering, stakeholder analysis, communication plans, risk assessments, process mapping, gap analysis, and project planning; ensuring appropriate project rigor, on-time solutions, and value delivery; responsibility for leading/supporting process improvement initiatives; documenting definitions and attributes of processes using visual diagrams, process models, process maps, or other tools as appropriate; designing new or improved business processes based on analysis; maintaining familiarity with installed software standards and procedures; bridging gaps in knowledge and language among information technology analysts, institutional research analysts and functional area staff. As the lead SBA for the Division, the successful candidate will need strong group facilitation skills, including listening and asking the right questions to gather a refined understanding of the current state and issues/pain points. Ability to be detail-oriented and think critically about a wide variety of processes, policies, and systems is a must.
The SBA will be expected to:
- facilitate meetings with key personnel to understand current processes, including creating the materials to drive the discussion and document outcomes and next steps;
- develop process documentation to include the following:
- business process flows,
- issues/pain points,
- opportunities for simplification/standardization,
- opportunities for automation or other efficiencies;
- recognize gaps in documentation and processes and apply formal problem-solving techniques to achieve resolution and will develop project plans with strategic milestones;
- collaborate with IT and Institutional Research to identify opportunities and solutions for improvement;
- interface with functional areas and vendors to ensure vendors deliver on agreed upon services;
- play a key role in conducting business and data analysis for new and existing systems and in implementing new business procedures;
- create and maintain a library of business process documentation and facilitate change management for its contents;
- provide alternative solutions and recommendations to complex business problems and issues and work with team members to determine the most advantageous approach.
- bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university;
- minimum of two years of relevant experience working with business processes and business applications;
- experience managing multiple complex projects and priorities, executing and delivering results across a broad range of activities;
- strong communication skills and organization skills.
- three or more years of relevant experience working as a business analyst, preferably in a college/university setting;
- experience working closely with staff in areas such as information technology or institutional research;
- demonstrated knowledge of current strategic enrollment trends, tools, and systems;
- extensive analytical skills, including data/metrics, trends, decision making, organizational strategy, and research;
- ability to interpret and communicate process improvement activities;
- experience with Ellucian Banner or other higher education enterprise resource planning system;
- experience with enterprise CRM tools such as Slate or CampusLogic;
- experience with enterprise business intelligence and/or analytics tools such as Argos, PowerBI or Tableau;
- experience working with and serving diverse populations.
To apply online go to: http://oneonta.interviewexchange.com/candapply.jsp?JOBID=120092 . Please upload a resume and letter of interest. Contact information for three professional references is required.
For other employment and regional opportunities, please visit our website at: https://suny.oneonta.edu/about-oneonta/employment .
Pursuant to Executive Order 161, no State entity, as defined by the Executive Order, is permitted to ask, or mandate, in any form, that an applicant for employment provide his or her current compensation, or any prior compensation history, until such time as the applicant is extended a conditional offer of employment with compensation. If such information has been requested from you before such time, please contact the Governor’s Office of Employee Relations at (518) 474-6988 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
SUNY Oneonta values a diverse college community. Please visit our website on diversity at: https://suny.oneonta.edu/diversity . Moreover, the College is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. Women, persons of color, persons with disabilities, and protected veterans are encouraged to apply.
- Start Date: No Start Date
- Education: Bachelor's Degree Required
- Work Experience: 2 - 4 years
- Part/Full Time: Full-Time