American UniversityWashington, DC United States
Location: Washington, DC, US, 20016
Company: American University
Manage the day-to-day operations of a co-educational residence hall area housing approximately 1,050 students. Consult with staff, students, and parents to solve housing problems; and coordinate area-wide activities and events. Serve as the primary staff person involved in the program administration of functional Residence Life living-learning initiatives for sophomore and upper-class students.
1. Hire, train, supervise, and evaluate direct reports. Meet with staff members to discuss the residents and issues affecting their residential areas.
2. Provide leadership for the development and implementation of sophomore and upperclassmen initiatives. Assist in developing a student development model for academic and co-curricular program support for sophomores and upperclassmen.
3. Develop a rubric to evaluate and assess residential curriculum initiatives. Implement and analyze annual student and staff assessment and retention efforts. Provide monthly assessment of programming, judicial and behavioral trends.
4. Ensure that housing policies are uniformly and fairly enforced. Serve as a hearing officer in violations of the Student Code of Conduct housing policies. Prepare and present in cases involving a Disciplinary Hearing Board.
5. Provide on-call emergency coverage after hours for the resident population, and coordinate response network.
6. Investigate and respond to concerns and complaints of students, parents and University staff members. Coordinate assigned projects, such as student staff evaluation, residence hall openings and closings, break housing, or commencement housing.
Summer Operations (May – August): Oversee the overall operation of summer conference and/or intern housing within the assigned residential area
7. Assist with case management for residential students designated through the Care Network.
8. Other duties as assigned
- Directly supervises 4 full-time employees
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work
- Sr. Coordinator/Analyst B
- Commensurate with experience
Required Education and Experience
- Master's degree in Student Personnel Administration or related field
- 4-6 years of relevant experience post-masters, professional residence hall experience required, including experience with campus crisis management and/or on-call coverage
Preferred Education and Experience
- Previous supervision of graduate or full-time staff.
- Experience working with residential curricula and leadership development for student populations and collaborating with administrators and faculty in out-of-classroom settings.
Additional Eligibility Qualifications
- Hiring offers for this position are contingent on successful completion of a background check
- This position has "non-traditional" business hours. Extreme flexibility is required to be successful in this position. Attendance at campus functions, student programs, and after-hours emergency response is often required.
Current American University Employees:
If you are a current full-time or part-time staff member at American University, please log into AsuccessfulU through the myAU portal. Once in AsuccessfulU, please select the Careers tile which will take you to our internal career page.
For more information or assistance with the American University careers site, email email@example.com.
American University is an equal opportunity, affirmative action institution that operates in compliance with applicable laws and regulations. The university does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, sex (including pregnancy), age, sexual orientation, disability, marital status, personal appearance, gender identity and expression, family responsibilities, political affiliation, source of income, veteran status, an individual’s genetic information or any other bases under federal or local laws (collectively "Protected Bases") in its programs and activities.
- Start Date: 1/14/2020 - Firm
- Education: Master's Degree Required
- Work Experience: 4 - 6 years
- Part/Full Time: Full-Time
Contact / Additional Information
If you have your resume registered on StudentAffairs.com you can apply for this position online.