American UniversityWashington, DC United States
Location: Washington, DC, US, 20016
Company: American University
This is an entry level position within the Energy Management Systems (EMS) department. This position supports the Energy Management Systems team’s operation’s by acting as an intermediary between:
1. The operators in the EMS operations center; and
2. The senior Facilities Maintenance Technician (FMT)“rover” assigned with trouble-shooting more difficult HVAC issues on behalf of the various Building Maintenance Operations (BMO) “zone” teams.
Together with the assigned “senior”/”roving” FMT this position rounds out a “dynamic duo” that provides “field” leadership for responding to service calls - investigating, resolving and/or escalating/expanding their respective team’s involvement as necessary to ensure a tenacious and capable focused effort is made to address complex HVAC problems that other BMO technicians determine are beyond their individual skill sets or resources to resolve.
This position requires a solid understanding of both HVAC equipment and Building Automation Systems (BAS) and the electrical circuits that power them. This position spends equal time:
- In the “field” (e.g. campus buildings & mechanical rooms) investigating the operating equipment; and
- In the Department’s office areas reviewing EMS application’s (operation screens, alarms, etc.) as well as documentation including system designs, specifications, logic diagrams, sequences of operation, and operations & maintenance manuals.
This position evaluates field conditions through the EMS unit’s BAS systems, performs and provides recommendations for course of actions needed to the Zone Manager’s in order to restore effective, reliable and efficient operation of installed systems.
This position working with the “roving” FMT assists with monitoring, advising, and directing the repair, replacement and proper configuration/set up of Siemens and/or Automated Logic’s direct digital control (DDC) BAS system components (e.g. actuators, sensors, etc.) of equipment by in-house and/or contract personnel.
This position is a key position within the Facilities Management customer service model and as such should be focused on working with the senior FMT to addressing assigned work orders, in a timely and diligent manner, in order to resolve customer concerns/impacts professionally on behalf of the department.
- Collaboratively troubleshooting complex HVAC problems with the designated “roving” FMT for assigned 2fix work orders involving the Energy Management System’s departments Building Automation System. Research operational conditions, sequences, alarms, trends, issues and advise, recommend, oversee and otherwise assist the operational units with making corrections/repairs as required. Provide guideline to FMT in troubleshoot field control devices, electromagnetic and building automation equipment, assist Zone to seek help from vendor if issue or problem need to be solved by service providers. Assist Zone techs on orders required parts and materials in advance for minor and major repair work to maintain a safe, functional, clean, efficient and attractive living and learning environment.
- Monitors building automation screens, schedules, set points, operational parameters to get familiar with dynamic campus conditions and systems and to identify probable concerns and opportunities for system improvements.
- Performs other corrective and planned maintenance on BAS building automation control systems, energy metering and related equipment as assigned to ensure continuous operation and prevent equipment break down through proactive and scheduled maintenance. Supports supervisor with tracking deferred maintenance concerns.
- Training, Administrative functions and other duties as assigned by department management.
- This position is designed to enhance EMS team’s customer service through enhanced communication, perspective, and person to person attention for the FMT’s as their dedicated liaison for complex and emergency issues involving Direct Digital Controlled Building Automation and Energy Management systems in order to assist them with ensuring efficiency and proper operation of HVAC systems providing managing the comfort for 2.7 Million square feet of the “conditioned” living and learning environment.
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work
- Full Time; 35 hours/Week
- Sr Coordinator/Sr Analyst A
- Commensurate with experience
Required Education and Experience
- High School graduate or GED
- Building Automation System Certification in hardware, software, system architecture layout/ requirement and application front/ back end operation.
- 2 to 3 years operation experience on computerized building automation/BAS field devices troubleshoot experience, capable to read BAS system control diagrams/shop drawings.
- 3 to 5 years of experience in HVAC system operation, repair and component trouble shooting. Working understanding of HVAC system principles, sequences of operations. Ability to read and understand Engineer’s drawings, specifications and Manufacturer’s Installation, Operation and Maintenace manuals
- Working knowledge of BAS point’s types (Analog & Digital Inputs & Outputs), FLN devices, BLN modular control components.
- Working understanding of IP based networks & communications, relational databases, Excel, Access and MS word.
Preferred Education and Experience
- LEED Green Associates or Certified Energy Manager certification.
- Associate Degree or certificate in MS Operating System, Computer Information System, Computer Science, Database Management Systems.
- 3rd class or higher Stationary Engineer’s license or HVAC or refrigeration vocational school certification.
- Strong knowledge of BAS complex networking and security.
- Capable to read/ understand the control program in variety format of BAS.
- Extensive Building Commissioning experience or Building MPE commissioning certification.
- This position requires experience working in a diverse cultural environment and managing a diverse workforce and a breadth of experience with computer systems and building mechanical and electrical equipment. Light duty may not be available in this position. This position requires a schedule consistent with the departments “core hours” but also may require afterhours overtime.
- Hiring offers for this position are contingent on the successful completion of a background check.
Current American University Employees:
If you are a current full-time or part-time staff member at American University, please log into AsuccessfulU through the myAU portal. Once in AsuccessfulU, please select the Careers tile which will take you to our internal career page.
For more information or assistance with the American University careers site, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
American University is an equal opportunity, affirmative action institution that operates in compliance with applicable laws and regulations. The university does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, sex (including pregnancy), age, sexual orientation, disability, marital status, personal appearance, gender identity and expression, family responsibilities, political affiliation, source of income, veteran status, an individual’s genetic information or any other bases under federal or local laws (collectively "Protected Bases") in its programs and activities.
- Start Date: 1/14/2020 - Approximate
- Education: High School or Equivalent
- Work Experience: 2 - 4 years
- Part/Full Time: Full-Time
Contact / Additional Information
If you have your resume registered on StudentAffairs.com you can apply for this position online.