Santa Clara UniversitySanta Clara, CA United States
Director, University Protocol and Events
$32.02 - $37.64 per hour
A. POSITION PURPOSE
The Assistant Director of University Events works closely with the Assistant Vice President, University Protocol and Events to produce events appropriate to the expectations of the University. These events will result in advancing the University's mission and the UPEO's strategic plan for elevating the position of the University in the community. The incumbent is responsible for the planning and execution of high-level events that are produced under the umbrella of the UPEO, including but not limited to: general meetings and travel programs for the Board of Trustees, Board of Regents and Board of Fellows. This person will also provide assistance with the planning and implementation of Graduate and Undergraduate Commencement, Golden Circle, and President's Club Dinner.
B. ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Understanding of event planning from concept to implementation.
• Budget management.
• University liaison with members of Board of Trustees and the Board of Regents
• Hire, train, schedule and supervise student staff associates.
• Provide excellent customer service.
• As a member of the UPEO team, be prepared to assist at all events produced by the UPEO, to include the Golden Circle Theatre Party, Commencement, Board of Fellows Travel Program, and all President's Office events.
C. SPECIFIC RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Event Planning
2. Budget Management
3. University liaison with Board of Trustees
4. Plan two-day Fall retreat for the Board of Trustees
5. Develop first-class travel program for Board of Trustees.
• Commitment to customer service, both internal and external to the department.
• Strong working knowledge and understanding of donor relations concepts, principles, procedures and techniques.
• Innovative and creative thought process to bring new and interesting ideas to the event process.
• Demonstrated experience in motivating volunteers and managing volunteer groups.
• Understanding and support of the Jesuit tradition of education and a commitment to the fundamental values of service to others, community, and diversity.
• Excellent interpersonal skills, including the ability to communicate and work effectively with individuals from diverse backgrounds and cultures.
• Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, organizational skills and attention to detail. Strong writing, editing and proofreading skills required.
• Excellent skills in Excel, Access, Word, PowerPoint, Adobe Illustrator, GroupWise AutoCAD, Common Spot/TerminalFour, and e-mail systems (Google). Familiarity with CRM databases a plus. Database management skill to ensure accuracy of mailing lists, invitation response lists and follow-up reports.
• Understand and use scheduling software program (AdAstra).
• Ability to work effectively with a wide range of internal constituents including the University President, Vice Presidents, Provosts, Deans, faculty, Associate Vice President of University Marketing and Communications, Alumni Association, schools and centers, Associate Vice President of Development and Campaigns and development staff.
• Ability to work effectively with external constituents, including Trustees, Regents, Board of Fellows, Alumni Association Board, advisory boards, volunteers, alumni, parents and donor prospects.
• Ability to exercise judgement and maintain confidentiality on a wide spectrum of topics and issues for which discretion is required.
• Ability to prioritize, follow through and meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment while providing excellent customer service.
• A deep commitment to higher education, a keen understanding of SCU's mission and goals, and the ability to articulate its uniqueness and relevance.
• Experience facilitating and negotiating internal resource allocation, project scoping, and initiative management.
• Experience in developing and managing operational budgets.
• Ability to manage time and work load to multitask and achieve goals in a deadline driven environment.
• Demonstrate a genuine appetite to contribute to a collaborative, ethical, and professional team environment.
• Ability to work flexible schedule as needed which will include working some evenings and weekends.
• Bachelor's degree required. Marketing, public relations or liberal arts preferred.
5. Years of Experience
• 5 - 6 years of experience in marketing, media relations, communications or special events, preferably in higher education.
• Professional experience in event management, including but not limited to conception, budget creation and management, implementation, contract negotiation and documentation preferred.
• 3-5 years' experience with non-profit fundraising preferred.
To view the full job posting and apply for this position, go to https://apptrkr.com/1725738
- Start Date: No Start Date
- Education: Bachelor's Degree Required
- Work Experience: 5 - 7 years
- Part/Full Time: Full-Time
Contact / Additional Information