American UniversityWashington, DC United States
Date: Dec 2, 2019
Location: Washington, DC, US, 20008
Company: American University
The Director, Partnerships and Events manages all efforts that place the WAMU brand directly in the community, in face-to face encounters with members, volunteers, donors and listeners. The position develops and executes an events strategy that showcases the WAMU portfolio of local and national brands and is diversified to reach all listener audience segments. The Director develops event concepts through collaboration with senior leadership, sponsorship account executives, show producers, development officers, and public media and community partners. The events team is responsible for the execution of all mid-to large-scale events and provides training and support for smaller events executed by individual programs. Additionally, the Director of Partnerships and Events is responsible for developing partnerships across the community, American University, NPR, media and non-profit entities.
The position is responsible for managing an events budget and supervising at least one full time employee, the Coordinator of Special Events as well as supporting event volunteers. Additional employees may be hired as the events scale over the coming years.
1) Event Execution: Identify compelling events to support fundraising, audience engagement, member prospecting, brand building public relations and community engagement goals. Develop launch events to support new programs. Coordinate with program, membership, news, sponsorship and development teams to conceptualize each program for an event and ensure the execution is in line with that vision. Identify and direct agency, volunteer and vendor support for special events as needed. Execute events including driving to and from location, setup, attendance and breakdown. Ensure all events come in at or under budget and deliver on WAMU’s standards of quality that ensure a net promoter score of 90%. Identify new ways of engaging audiences before, during and after the events to enhance the experience and solicit feedback.
2) Multi-Year Events Strategy: In partnership with the Senior Director of Marketing and Engagement, develop a robust multi-year events strategy designed to expand WAMU’s reach, increase member loyalty, engage diverse audiences, and generate revenue by hosting events primarily across the District/Maryland/Virginia region while leveraging WAMU’s programming and talent. Work with the Senior Director of Marketing and Engagement and Business Administration Office to develop event plans and revenue projections for each year with a goal towards a self-sustaining events portfolio. Develop an events strategy to showcase WAMU’s nationally syndicated program, 1A, to markets across the United States in partnerships with public media stations and potential institutions. Employ creative thinking and a journalistic acumen to conceptualize new event programs and formats. Define a plan to strategically engage volunteers in event support. Create an annual planning calendar with no less than three-months lead-time for most ticketed events and one-year lead time for large-scale signature events; partner with Corporate Sponsorship to help drive revenue.
3) Budget, KPI, & Staff Management: Manage events budget and staff including a full-time coordinator. Assist in the management of the marketing and engagement budget as needed; work with partners to identify trade opportunities in order to optimize budget. Develop key performance indicators (KPI’s) to coincide with the events strategy and WAMU’s overarching strategic goals; identify strategies to capture and track audience data to show strategic outcomes through event registration and attendance. Develop trainings, templates and processes to allow content department to execute smaller-scale, free engagement events with minimum support required from the Events team.
4) Cultivate Key Partnerships: Work in close collaboration with internal departments and industry partners to identify opportunities to bring WAMU to life in the market – creating both WAMU-specific as well as co-branded events. Develop strategic partnerships across the community, private and public media, American University, arts institutions and other non-profits. Leverage opportunities to bring other public media programs to the DC DMV and provide engagement opportunities for our members. Work with partners to streamline event venue identification process.
- Directly supervises 1 FT position (Events Coordinator).
- Evenings and weekends as events require; limited national travel.
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work
- 35 hours/week
- Team Leader/Consultant A
- Commensurate with experience
Required Education and Experience
- Bachelor's degree in Business, Event Planning and Management, Marketing, Journalism or related field.
- 8-10 years of relevant experience.
Preferred Education and Experience
- Master's degree
- Certified Special Events Professional (CESP) preferred.
- 10+ years of relevant experience.
Additional Eligibility Qualifications
- Hiring offers for this positon are contingent on the successful completion of a background check.
- 8+ years’ demonstrated experience in event strategy and implementation;
- Demonstrated success developing and leading sophisticated event strategies/plans followed by flawless execution.
- A team player and team builder; proven track record leading and motivating both direct and indirect teams.
- Results-driven behavior and entrepreneurial spirit that contributes to the long and short-term goals of the department.
- Proven ability to set goals, develop strategies to achieve goals, and track and adjust processes and plans to ensure progress towards completion.
- Proven ability to build and manage annual budgets in alignment with a multi-year financial strategy; make adjustments as needed Self-starter who seeks out and incorporates innovative new ideas to enhance outcomes and collaboration.
- Poised individual who handles stressful situations with an unflappable, positive demeanor.
- Strong interpersonal skills, relationship builder and negotiator who inspires confidence
- Ability to effectively manages project timelines and budgets
- Must be flexible and adaptable to change.
- Must be an accomplished multi-tasker who has the ability to keep multiple projects moving forward simultaneously while anticipating the future.
- Proven expertise as both a “thinker and a doer” with a keen ability to synchronize the two.
- Demonstrated ability to direct outside business partners and service providers.
- Experience working with Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, and Excel required.
- Driver’s license required.
Current American University Employees:
If you are a current full-time or part-time staff member at American University, please log into AsuccessfulU through the myAU portal. Once in AsuccessfulU, please select the Careers tile which will take you to our internal career page.
For more information or assistance with the American University careers site, email email@example.com.
American University is an equal opportunity, affirmative action institution that operates in compliance with applicable laws and regulations. The university does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, sex (including pregnancy), age, sexual orientation, disability, marital status, personal appearance, gender identity and expression, family responsibilities, political affiliation, source of income, veteran status, an individual’s genetic information or any other bases under federal or local laws (collectively "Protected Bases") in its programs and activities.
Nearest Major Market: Washington DC
Apply now »
- Start Date: No Start Date
- Education: Bachelor's Degree Required
- Work Experience: 8 - 10 years
- Part/Full Time: Full-Time