SUNY - Alfred State CollegeAlfred, NY United States
Location: Alfred, NY Category: Professional Posted On: Thu May 16 2019 Job Description:
This is a 10-month live-in position, housed within the Division of Student Affairs, and reports directly to the Senior Director of Health and Wellness Services
To provide health and wellness services and programming during evening hours, as well as on-campus after hour's crisis coverage. This position will provide mental health counseling and programming to residential students, during after hours, which will in turn, aide in retention efforts by providing support to students during evening and weekend hours, when Health & Wellness Services is closed. One of the goals of the position is to assist students with finding balance in their lives and manage their presenting problems, symptomology, and/or other mental health needs, so that they are able to be successful in their goal of achieving a degree at Alfred State.
This position will be a live in position. The clinician hired for this position will live in a residence hall on campus and will work an alternative work schedule. The hours of the position when classes are in session are 12 p.m. to 8 p.m.; this position would be responsible for being on-call for after hour's crisis coverage, Thursday evenings from 4:30 p.m. until Monday morning at 8:30 a.m.
During the summer, this position will be responsible for counseling support during the Summer Prep Academy. During this period, hours will fluctuate to meet the needs of the program, and will work closely with the Student Success Center to ensure mental health needs are addressed immediately and appropriately. The Summer Prep Academy will provide an opportunity for this position to build close working relationships with the Student Success Center staff, as well as provide an opportunity to build therapeutic relationships with students enrolled in the Educational Opportunity Program (EOP approximately 116 students). Retaining EOP students can be particularly challenging when students are academically underprepared, lack the necessary financial resources to obtain a college education, and struggle to adjust to the college setting given cultural backgrounds that have placed students in depressed social or economic condition. The opportunity program work with a large population of First Generation College students, many of whom are African-American, transitioning from diverse cultural background and we seek to help them make a successful transition to college. First generation college students have traditionally been underrepresented in higher education, have low socioeconomic status, and tend to require additional academic and mental health support as they transition through college.
Reports to: Senior Director of Health and Wellness Services
- Assists in developing and implementing mental health programs for the residential student population.
- Conducts mental health intakes, as well as completes appropriate referrals, and at times will serve as a case manager to students with meeting their needs while enrolled at Alfred State. Examples would be assisting students with housing, food, transportation, medical care, and/or assisting students with an academic plan where this position works closely with the students Success Coach.
- When appropriate, will consult with faculty and staff around issues related to the development and psychological needs of students.
- Provides individual and group counseling to students seeking assistance with personal concerns; performs crisis intervention and consults or refers to psychiatric and/or medical resources as needed.
- Assists with specialized programs or particular student groups as identified by the Senior Director of Health & Wellness Services and the Associate Vice President for Academic Affairs.
- Develops workshops for the professional development of faculty and staff to strengthen awareness about the challenges students face.
- Assists in processing student withdrawals, leaves of absence and re-admissions for students.
- Will be a key member of the Summer Prep Academy (SPA) program, working collaboratively with the professional staff, as well as student mentors to provide programming and support to SPA members as they transition from home to college.
- Live in position responsible for after-hours crisis coverage from Thursday nights at 4:30 p.m. until Monday at 8:30 a.m. During regular hours of Monday thru Friday 12 p.m. to 8 p.m., this position will be responsible for crisis coverage, conducting lethality assessments when contacted by the Resident Director on Duty or University Police.
Master's degree in counseling, counseling/clinical psychology, or equivalent. Eligible for limited permit in NYS for licensure. One to three years of related experience required.
- NYS Licensure
- Experience with Educational Opportunity Programs
Pursuant to University policy, Alfred State College is committed to ensuring equal employment, education opportunity, and equal access to services, programs, and activities without regard to an individual's race, color, national origin, sex, religion, age, disability, gender characteristics, marital status, veteran status, military status, domestic violence victim status, or ex-offender status. Employees, students, applicants or other members of the University community (including but not limited to vendors, visitors, and guests) may not be subjected to harassment that is prohibited by law or treated adversely based upon a protected characteristic.
All applicants are subject to a criminal, employment, and educational background check.
Applicants interested in positions may access the Annual Security and Fire Safety Report for the College at http://www.alfredstate.edu/university-police/annual-security-and-fire-safety-report. Crime statistics are reported in accordance with the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act. Applicants may request a hard copy of the report by contacting the SUNY Alfred State College University Police Department at 607-587-3999.
Apply Here: http://www.Click2Apply.net/6r6wkc3vqkyt237b
- Start Date: No Start Date
- Education: Master's Degree Required
- Work Experience: 1 - 3 years
- Part/Full Time: Full-Time
Contact / Additional Information
If you have your resume registered on StudentAffairs.com you can apply for this position online.