Best Practices for Managing Departmental Social Media Accounts
Duration: 1 hour
Facilitator: Erin Hensley
This webinar offers best practices for managing social media accounts while providing participants with tangible skills they can bring back to their institutions and implement immediately. Are your social media accounts not gaining traction? Are you having a difficult time getting students to engage with you? Are you putting inclusion at the forefront when posting? Do you have a social media rapid response plan? This webinar aims to provide solutions to all of those questions. Oftentimes, a presentation ends, and you’re left with lots of great information, but you’re unsure of how to implement it. This webinar is the opposite—you will leave knowing how you can improve, what short term steps to take, and what long term goals you’ll need to work on. Let’s work together to step up your social media game.
- College Students and Social Media Use
- Frequency of use, social media channels, etc.
- Best Practices
- When to Post
- What to Post
- How often to post
- How to post (scheduling tools)
- Hashtags, Handles, Bios
- Search Engine Optimization
- Voice, Captioning, Images/Video
- Social Media Rapid Response
- Delete vs. Ignore
- Staff Member Concerns
- Collaboration and advice regarding issues you/your department are currently facing and how to solve them.
- Participants will learn best practices related to managing social media accounts.
- Participants will gain insight into how college students today utilize social media.
- Participants will learn when to post, what to post, and how often to post in addition to ways to save time when managing social media.
- Participants will learn ways to be inclusive when thinking about their online presence and voice.
- Participants will evaluate where their department can improve on and what tips/tricks they will implement to improve online engagement and reach.
Who Should Attend:
This webinar is designed to support a range of professionals with a range of expertise related to social media management, but most specifically would be useful for:
- Departmental and institutional social media managers
- University leaders interested in improving their online engagement with students
- Anyone interested learning about social media best practices (skills are transferrable to personal account management)
Erin Hensley currently serves as the Marketing Manager for Upcart, an e-commerce and retail brand, and is the owner of Erin Hensley Consulting. Erin received her M.S.Ed. in Higher Education and Student Affairs from Indiana University and is currently pursuing a Master of Business Administration at The Ohio State University with a specialization in marketing. Erin served as the Social Media Coordinator for the 2017 ACPA National Convention and has presented at numerous state and national conferences on social media best practices and how to use personal social media accounts to market yourself to employers. She nerds out about marketing and hopes she can help make digital marketing a little easier for you!